So we recently attended a workshop on the importance of digital marketing for businesses to stand out from their competitors. It was a great eye opening session into how easy it is to get started. Below are some of the key takeaways from that session.
The Importance of SEO
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization and it is arguably one of the most important things to focus on when venturing into the digital marketing landscape if you are key to drive traffic to your website. For a quick explanation on SEO, we’d suggest watching the video below from Google.
So as you can see this is a really important way to promote your business digitally and highlights just how important keywords are!
Tips for killer SEO
- Get your keywords/meta tags correct and consistent!
- Alt tags on images – ensure that all of your photos have them
- Inbound/Outbound links – link to other websites and get links pointing towards yours
- Update your website as much as possible – regular content keeps users coming back too
The importance of Social Media
Social media is becoming a primary means of promoting and generating revenue for your business and here’s why:
- 77% of people in the UK will consult online before buying.
- Internet users spend on average 5 hours and 48 minutes a day online through social media, emails for work or even watching netflix!
- 50% of purchases are made on a smartphone device.
- There are 100 million active users on Twitter…. A day!
Therefore using social media to promote your business can be a way to diversify your customer base and to also engage with them more directly. There’s huge potential to reach more potential customers than you ever have done before.
Tips to take for using social media
- Mix your posts with a mixture of graphics, video, live streams and sales posts.
- Ensure you post at the correct time of the day where you can get the most engagement
- Make sure you keep up with current trends to engage with your customers use Google Trends (https://trends.google.co.uk) if you get stuck
So these were just two of the key takeaway points of digital marketing that a small business could do with little/no budget at all and have the biggest impact and return on investment. There are lots of other options when it comes to digital marketing and the two above are not the only way to promote your business!